Monday, May 24, 2010

Technique 11: Draw the Map

The author uses this term (for some reason) to refer to controlling the physical environment to assist in teaching.  The author talks about the arrangement of desks, what posters are on the walls, etc.

My response:

In FIT and in CS106, I could have handled this better.  In FIT, students are very tempted to goof around on the computers while I'm talking.  I try to fix this by "constantly" asking questions and asking for students to respond to what I'm saying with a nod, or something.  But, the author seems to imply that I could/should ask students to turn off their monitors or put away their keyboards if they aren't using the computers to take notes.  I don't know if I want to do this in college.

As for posters, etc., in CS106, I was thinking of making some posters that showed commonly used list methods or function syntax, etc.  It seems kind of like elementary school, but it might be useful...

No comments:

Post a Comment