Monday, May 24, 2010

Technique 14: Board = Paper

(Part of Chapter 3: Structuring and Delivering Your Lessons)

Students have to learn how to take good notes -- i.e., how to retain a record of what is being taught.  Lemov says, "As a matter of habit, expecting students to make an exact replica in their notes of what you write on the board is the right starting point."

Some teachers use pre-printed notes, with missing words that the students need to fill in. 

My response:

In college, students should already know how to take good notes.  But, I know some don't.  I'm not sure it is my place to teach them how, though.

I've used the technique of having "partial notes" -- where the notes are printed out with missing words -- and it does work, a bit.  I'm curious to know what people (especially students) think of this.

4 comments:

  1. When I was an undergrad, most professors still used the board, which is good for a number of reasons. But at least you had a prayer of keeping up in your notes. Since the rise of powerpoint, it seems that the volume of information in the the lecture is much greater, so that diligent notetaking is very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin: interesting point. In fact, I was thinking of tossing my slides and going back to writing my notes on the board...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had students with hearing impairments who need me to always face forward when I'm talking--this isn't easy when writing on the board.

    NOTE-PAUSE-DIGEST. I'm going to try to encourage my students to take notes on the PowerPoints by giving them the "notes" print out and pausing for a bit to let them review their notes that they've made to see if they have questions. Sometimes it seems that students are taking notes like mad, but still not following...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angi: good point. And, in fact, I am hearing impaired, so I know what it is like.

    ReplyDelete