Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Technique 32: SLANT

(Part of chapter 5: Creating a Strong Classroom Culture)

"No matter how great the lesson, if students aren't alert, sitting up, and actively listening, teaching them is like pouring water into a leaky bucket." (p 158)

The author has an acronym to describe the 5 basic behaviors that maximize students' ability to learn:
  • Sit up
  • Listen
  • Ask and answer questions
  • Nod your head
  • Track the speaker
(Some schools also add Smile to the beginning -- S-SLANT.  I like that, too.)

A champion teacher tells the students that these behaviors are best and are expected.  Then, the instructor can quickly and easily remind students about it: "Make sure you are SLANTing."  

My response:

I LOVE THIS!  I have so many students who slouch, don't watch me, don't listen, don't nod, and don't track the speaker.  I teach some classes in computer lab classrooms, and the students log in, and go straight to facebook.  For some reason, they think I can't tell -- but I can because they aren't tracking me, nodding, etc.  So, I ask them questions to bring them back into the classroom, but that just interrupts the flow of the class, and uses questions as a sort of disciplinary action -- not what I want to do.  (Others log in and take notes on-line.  I can tell the difference because they are tracking me, nodding, etc.)

I plan to put this acronym on my syllabi and on a PowerPoint slide to remind students what I expect of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment