Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Technique 47: Emotional Constancy

(Part of chapter 7, "Building Character and Trust")

Two important things about emotions:

Modulate them.  Many students have a lot of baggage from crazy peer interactions, unstable home life, etc.  Constancy and reliability in the classroom makes for a secure place to work.
Tie your emotions to student achievement, not your own moods or the emotions of the students.  


Using your language carefully can make all the difference.  Saying "I expect better of this class" is more positive and less emotional than "I'm disappointed in you."  The latter ties the teacher's emotions to the students' performance.  The former does not (or not as much).

My response:

I have been guilty of making this mistake a few times.  I don't often get angry in class, but when I do, I'm sure I communicate my anger by tying it to students' behavior.

3 comments:

  1. "Constancy and reliability in the classroom makes for a secure place to work."

    I notice that this is about you, not your students. Your anger doesn't seem to actually be about their lack of achievement, but rather, as you state, their behavior and how it affects your sense of security in your work environment.

    You are aware that your students have challenges. Don't we all? However, you seem to be strategically glossing over that, implying that these challenges are excuses for their lack of achievement. Empathizing with people does not cost you anything, but your value judgments about "those people" do, because you stop "listening."

    How about tying your emotions to making the lessons engaging, and the interactions with and among students conducive to learning? This creates an environment that is supportive (rather than impersonal), stable (rather than competitive), and about everyone's success. From that, you'll also get your "secure place to work."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a quote from the book. What he thinks is under 'My response'. It's hard enough being a teacher. Don't judge so harshly.

      Delete
    2. That is a quote from the book. What he thinks is under 'My response'. It's hard enough being a teacher. Don't judge so harshly.

      Delete