Monday, June 13, 2011

Top Ten Techniques

I'm trying to do a bit of analysis of these 49 techniques and see what I think are the top ten techniques applicable to my college classroom.  This is going to be a tough exercise, I think.  Here is my first crack.  Results are not in any particular order.
  1. Begin with the End: prepare lesson objectives.
  2. No Opt Out: a student can't get by by saying "I don't know." 
  3. Ratio: increase active participation in class.
  4. At Bats: give students practice, practice, practice.
  5. Take a Stand: make students commit to an answer.
  6. Cold Call: call on students "randomly" around the classroom.
  7. Explain Everything: explain your methods and choices to students.
  8. Normalize Error: make getting answers wrong normal.
  9. SLANT: insist students exhibit positive posture for learning.
  10. Positive Framing: encourage your students with positive responses.
Honorable mentions: 

No comments:

Post a Comment