Monday, June 6, 2011

Technique 42: No Warnings

(Part of chapter 6, Setting and Maintaining High Behavioral Expectations)

Give no warnings in your classroom.  Set out the rules and then enforce them, quickly, calmly, reliably, and proportionately.  Giving a warning about unacceptable behavior just says "some amount of non-compliance is expected."  This is not what you want to communicate.

It is important not to confuse incompetence with defiance, as discussed in What to Do.  A student who doesn't understand what is expected of them should be guided.  A student who is defiant should receive a consequence.  It is also important to remember that not all students have the same amount of stamina.  "Stamina issues are not defiance issues." (p 200).  In this case, a gentle reminder to the whole classroom may be appropriate.

Delivering consequences in the best way possible is important.

  1. Be calm, posed, and impersonal.
  2. Be incremental.  Let the "punishment fit the crime."
  3. Be private when you can and public when you must.
My response:

This is a hard technique for me.  I do see non-compliance in my classroom, and often it is due to students not caring one whit about the material (in a required core course) or students being very tired (from staying up most of the night studying or more likely, goofing around).  The consequences available to me in the college classroom are quite limited: I can't give a student "a red card" or give them a demerit.  I do try to use peer pressure to make students stop whispering or talking out of turn.  But, I find it difficult to keep students awake and participatory.  (And, I'm not sure it really is my job to do this with college students, who are, at least legally, adults.)

I could probably use some good ideas about what are appropriate consequences.

1 comment:

  1. "But, I find it difficult to keep students awake and participatory."

    I think that this is more the issue to focus on. How do you make your lessons engaging so that your students are awake and inspired?

    "Be calm, posed, and impersonal.
    Be incremental. Let the "punishment fit the crime."
    Be private when you can and public when you must."

    I'm assuming that since you posted it, this technique works for you. I don't agree with complete intolerance. Pushing for excellence does not require being impersonal, or delivering punishments. What crime? Really? In a classroom? We need order, processes, and procedures for success ... and we need supportive relationships.

    This may account for why you have students opting out of classes, being disengaged, and struggling to stay awake. In the context of managing control of your class, forget the idea of reprimanding teens and adults. Be clear about the goals and objectives of the class and create engaging lessons that consistently promote order, processes, and procedures and supportive relationships that are conducive to those goals and objectives.

    ReplyDelete